Documents and/or Information needed for passport application:
- Old Passport
- Current residence address
- Permenant residence address (not applicable if current and permenant are same)
- AADHAR card (if available)
- Current/Permenant residence Town, district and Police station number
Before we get started, register new user login here : http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/user/userLogin
Once you login after registration, you will be having multiple options in Passport Seva home page. Select Apply for Fresh Passport / Re-issue of Passport
There will be two options to fill the application.
- Offline : Download application form, fill offine and upload the filled form.
- Online : Fill the application online. I suggest to take this option if you are having decent internet connection.
Using documents mentioned above, fill the form and submit the application.
For supporting document submission, we need to schedule appointment in nearby passport seva kendra (PSK) and at your convienent time.
- Select View Submitted applications on right side menu in home page
- Select submitted application
- During appointment scheduling, there will be paid option to get SMS notification for application status change. I suggest not to pick this option as the whole process is notified via mail as it happens.
- Click on Pay and schedule appoinment
- You need to pay Rs.1500 (as of now) for scheduling appointment.
- Take appointment and payment receipt print out
- Depending on changes in renewed passport, take all printouts of documents mentioned in appointment receipt.
- Reach passport seva kendra before 15 mins of appointment time.
- There are 4 stages : Primary check, Verification (A), Confirmation (B) and Granting (C)
- Primary check area is where they make sure needed supporting documents, application has correct details mentioned in documents and give a token.
- Verification is where they verify and take photograph for passport.
- Confirmation stage is where they confirm supporting documents.
- Granting stage is where they take supporting documents and cancel the current passport
- Before we exit, they give receipt to track the status online.
It took around 2 hours for the whole process. It could have been faster if not for large crowd on that day. Whole process was smooth and fast.
Passport got dispatched on the same appointment day and got delivered within 2 days from appointment day. Police verification is yet to happen but good that now they don’t stop passport delivery till police verification.
Its amazing to see passport process cut short from 30 days to 2 days.